In the first
chapter of this book, Sophie Amundsen received a letter in the mail
with no stamp and no returning address. The anonymous sender puts
only three words onto the paper, “Who are you?”. This one, simple
question brings millions of thoughts into Sophie's mind. She begins
to address things around her and even her self will eventually die,
and she begins to ask herself, is there life after death. Then, days
later, another letter from the anonymous writer asks Sophie where
does the world come from. A whirlwind of questions run through her
mind and make her think about every little aspect of life. Even
though a question so simplistic can make someone examine themselves
and everything around them in a totally different way. I cannot help
but to feel as if I am in the same position as Sophie. I have been
taught my beliefs of how the world was made and how humans exist ever
since I was a child. This book has made me question myself once more
about the beginning of all that we know just like how philosophers
questioned themselves the exact same way thousands of years ago.
Answering a
question that asks me who I am is difficult for me. I just think of
myself as a regular sixteen-year-old girl with dreams and goals that
I wish to fulfill. After reflecting this question I realize I am much
more than just the average. There is only one me in the entire world.
Everything that makes up who I am cannot be compared to anyone else
her on Earth. Of course, some physical and mental qualities can be
similar to people everywhere, but the combination of how I look,
think, feel, and the actions I make compare to no one else. This
makes me special and different from the other billions of people on
this earth.
Everyone has a
different perspective on where the world came from. Beliefs on how it
was made and who it was made by differentiate throughout the world.
I, personally, believe in Christianity. I believe that God made this
earth in seven days and all that inhabits it. Yes, this book
interests me in how ancient philosophers contemplated the variety of
myths and made their answers to this very same question, but I stick
strong to what I believe is the truth to this question. Even though I
hold God accountable for making the universe and man, this question
still intrigues me. I tend to wonder how just one being could create
all that occupies this world and I marvel at the way this world was
created out of nothing. I think that is what interests me the most;
how did God make all of these beautiful things around me? This
question just reintroduces my amazement of how God created this world
and us humans.
No comments:
Post a Comment